Saturday, August 6, 2016

CHARACTER BLOG: MARY

MARY is one of my favourite characters in this film. She is a young, spunky, talkative, determined little troublemaker who is also a fun person and a useful and resourceful companion to EVE. In other words, she is a potential scene-stealer. MARY seeks her destiny in Hollywood just as EVE is seeking it in Crete.

My inspiration for MARY was my twenty-year-old self (who was easier to relate to when I wrote this screenplay 15 years ago or so). Part of the reason I wrote the script was because of my own self discovery: I always thought I was more like MARY, but I eventually realized that I am more like EVE. MARY represents my youthful side, both innocent and ambitious, seeking out opportunities and trying to grab them by the horns. EVE represents my thoughtful side, both melancholy and serene, more mature but also more able to change.

Why did my film need two women who are seeking a new world to belong to? I had two good reasons. The first reason was that MARY's character was so delicious that the scenes almost wrote themselves. The main reason, though, was to solidly prove my thesis for the film: everyone has a place in time where they belong, and the only way to get there is to allow themselves the opportunity and the courage to take a journey into the unknown. It begins with a desire for something more and it takes a leap of faith to get there.

With MARY's story in the screenplay I can also make another point: there is a place that is right for anyone. It's not the place itself but rather how the place fits the person. Let's see if the glitz and glamour of Hollywood can be MARY's place of belonging.

QUOTE:


MARY runs towards JULIE’s car which is idling in front of the house. She opens the door and pops into the back seat cheerfully.

MARY
Let’s go. I’m ready.

JULIE
You clean up well! God, I hope this works. Let’s go.

JULIE starts to drive off. She turns to MARY.

JULIE (CONT’D)
You know the name of the movie, right?

MARY
Yes, it’s “Let’s get this party started, I am ready!”

JULIE
God help us.

Screenplay excerpt © 2016 Maria Dalekos

No comments:

Post a Comment